Thursday, June 5, 2008

I won't ask Mother Mary to come to me

Listening to "Let it Be" from the Across the Universe soundtrack and wondering if Paul meant the Virgin Mary or John's mother like people say.

I have a paper due tomorrow at ten AM which is supposed to be between 800 to 1500 words long. My, what flexibility they give! This may be a late night so I thought I'd write before I got started.

I am constantly amazed at the appeal things that are harmful for us have. They're almost like magnets. But don't we want things that make us feel good? Looking at my own life I'd say no. The things that make me feel the best, the most whole, are the very objects/people/Scripture that I run from. It's incredible. And what's even more incredible is that when you resist something bad for you, you often aren't even left with a sense of satisfaction. And even if you are, is a sense of satisfaction going to keep you warm at night? Tonight I avoided something through my efforts and the efforts of another I should have avoided in the first place. And yet I'm sitting in my room with a slightly antsy tummy, my eyes shifting now towards my window, now my cell phone, now my door. And for what? Temporary insanity. That's where I've gone.

I find it interesting that Kiwis don't think of New Zealand as islands. To me, how could it be anything else? I've never really thought of the US as a big country up until now. But after coming to NZ I've discovered we (Americans) are huge and diverse. Or at least our country is. Pretty excited about Obama. Guess who's getting my vote? Teehee.

The weather outside makes my fingers hurt. So no matter how little I want to study and work on a paper, at least I'm not outside.

No comments: