Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bigger Better Faster

I just have a trial with Blogspot and I suppose I should be asking you for help. First I tried to do a link and then I couldn't stop linking my words to a website and then the font kept getting bold and underlined and I discarded the whole thing and "x-ed" out of the whole site. But I got back on and things are fine. I'm just going to keep on experimenting.

The reason I want to spice things up is that I have been inspired by these amazing blogs of my friends. They have links and pictures and lots of things. I feel as though I should be grateful to my readers for anyone looking at such a boring page. Though I have a feeling you wouldn't be doing it if you didn't care for me. So thank you.

My friend Cassandra and I are going to Fiji and it didn't hit me until today as we sat down and made plans. It all looks so lovely! We'll be there for two weeks which may be too long. My main concern is getting sick of each other. This probably sounds hurtful, but I feel that way about anyone. That's why the concept of marriage is so foreign to me; I can't imagine spending so much time with one person! I suppose it's like living with parents, you get used to it. But I am sure my married friends would not draw that comparison.

Currently I'm listening to the soundtrack from Sweet Land, a movie about a practically mail-order bride who turns out to be from Germany. Her husband is Norwegian and I always enjoy a good Scandinavian accent. They make me extremely happy. So do people who come from Wisconsin. Just a good, comical accent. It makes all the difference. The kiwi accent used to mesmerize me but I've been around it so long I'm getting jaded. Well, perhaps not. I still marvel at how we can speak the same language and yet have such different words for things. It's fascinating. Anyway if you're a fan of bluegrass please get the Sweet Land album. It's only ten dollars on iTunes for 24 songs. And while they are short, they are all quite pleasant. None of those dramatic, the-ship-is-sinking-and-we're-all-going-to-die-in-a-matter-of-minutes songs. Those of you who are familiar with Titanic's score know what I'm talking about.

Another failed attempt to get to church. I have a bike here that I got for free. And my friends, I find bikes make me very, very antsy. I don't like riding on busy streets with them. And I've tried to get over this fear because really, it's beautiful here and I like the ride from my university to Palmerston North. But this is mostly all in retrospect. When I look back I remember the beauty. During the ride I tear up from the cold and let my nose run. So elegant...

My ride to church here is a little old woman named Leone (pronounced LEE-own-ee). But I think after a series of two Sundays in which I did not show up at our meeting place she's given up. I tried to write her e-mails about missing those appointments but she never responded. So I think she's washed her hands of me. And I hate asking for rides because I just get so flustered when people give me too many things. People here, especially those I have met at church, are very warm and supportive.

But this morning I felt independent.

This morning I showered, got ready for church, and hopped on my bike. I only had ten minutes before church started because I couldn't find my helmet but no worries!

Then I got lost.

Then at 10:45 (church starts at 10) I just gave up and slowly rode home. Not before stopping at the BP and purchasing some Frank's Ginger Beer and Sparkling Passionfruit and Bitter Lemon. I wish we had Frank's at home. There are some foods I will miss.

This is quite long and I am not sure anyone will have read to this point. But there's what's been going on with me. Oh! And I'm almost-definitely-for-sure-graduating in August! So let the excitement fall from the sky and into our hearts.

Oh! And check out this commercial! It won a few awards. And with good reason, I say.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed that you made a *link* in your post. Well done! Very disturbing (the video).

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you're such a good writer and since, honestly, your blog isn't as bright as you, you should definitely jazz it up! I don't mind helping.

The concept of marriage won't be too foreign if and when the time happens. That's why you're Jesus's bride and he's with you all the time. It's warming you up to the idea.

AND - I'm so sorry you got lost on your way to church. Have you discovered the bridal track? Don't worry about getting there late. We do regularly - and I'm supposed to be older, more responsible and mother like. You have much more grace on your side.