Sunday, February 24, 2008

Your New Fire Safety Marshall

Today we had a mandatory hall meeting complete with snacks, games, introductions, lectures, warnings, shushings, cheers, and gifts. And I was named fire marshall of our dorm. One girl conviently left while the Resident Assistants were looking for volunteers and the other girls turned to me. The RA asked me specifically if I would, since I suppose I'm the most outgoing. It doesn't take long for people to realize I have a hard time saying no.

Today I went to an outdoor concert, complete with a steady drizzle of rain and a large man dancing alone for half the show. He was more entertaining than the concert! My video camera wasn't working, which was a shame because you really needed to see him to believe someone was moving that way. He kept angrily moving people away from him so he could do cartwheels right in front of the stage! I laughed until there were tears.

Just a few minutes ago I tried to look for a good template for my resume. I met a woman who...

Okay I have to stop and comment on my newest roommate. Her name is Rea and I have some concerns. She seems nice but she has a lot of friends which are in our apartment constantly helping her to settle in. I've already heard her music from her room several times and... there's a lot of loud talking occurring right outside my window which I am attributing to a group of giddy Chinese girls standing on the walkway talking to Rae as she moves in. A door just slammed. This does not bode well.

Anyway I met a woman who is interested in my work as a dramaturg. She might want me to work on her upcoming show here! Isn't it amazing how these things work? But looking for a resume template to suit my needs puts knots in my stomach. These are the same sort of knots that appeared whenever I tried to do something very precisesly as a little girl. I can almost hear my bones clench together as I get irritated. So I had to stop and write this, simply to wonder why this makes me so antsy. True, I wish my old template would just expand so I didn't have to write a new resume, but that's a minor problem. Hmm.

I haven't been writing in my journal at all, which also sets my teeth on edge. I need to strike a balance between writing for myself and others. Because who my audience is affects how I write.
Last night I went to a party and met a boy who instantly asked me if we still beat black people. He told me he knew all about segregation. I can honestly say I had no idea it would be like this. I didn't expect to come across so much ignorance. Clearly, this is not something limited to the US. I'm beginning to believe that the majority of the population is ignorant, and there are only a few people (relatively speaking) who even attempt some sort of global perspective. Myself, I have learned that what I hear on the news cannot accurately reflect a population. Not that I read about New Zealand in the papers. At all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not gonna lie, fire marshal is a pretty impressive position for a young lady like you.

LG,
Steve