Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Why not post when there is so much to do?



I just returned from watching The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and feel elated. I love good movies! This image comes from the early portion of the movie, when the lovers discover Guy has been drafted. It's a great movie and the best, and possibly the most taxing part of it is, the dialogue is exclusively sung. It was a bit irritating after the first thirty minutes, but you come to expect and enjoy it more and more as the movie continues. And the Technicolor! The movie came out in 1964 and was not originally filmed in color (I think). But the colors in it are so vivid I wanted to wear nothing but bright colors and drape bright, bold wall paper all over my cinder block walls. The movie was so good I felt I was floating when I walked home. It ended happily, but not as I would expect it. Please see this film!

I have two papers due very soon and I have not started on either. I think I thrive on procrastination. It's a nice feeling to get things done when one should, but an equally nice feeling putting things off. And I work so much better under pressure. I think I will go to bed soon and get up at six AM to begin working on my papers.

My friend Cassandra and I are thinking of going to Thailand after classes end. She can only stay for three weeks though. I'm anxious to come home, but I do want to see so many things. I can only hope three weeks will be enough. And what of the rest of Asia? How will I make money? I think I need to become an accomplished writer and live wherever I please with nothing but my computer for company.

I started reading Mrs. Dalloway last week and found Woolfe's writing style to be difficult to follow at first. Now that I am used to it, however, I find it fascinating. She can skip from idea to idea with such ease; the writing does not seem stilted at all. She keeps the mind of the reader constantly at attention. I have had to go back and reread certain passages just because I realize I'm not giving the paragraph all the attention it deserves. Oh! There's one paragraph that I related to, not only as a woman but as a human being who craves attention from everyone around her at all times.

"But the indomitable egotism which for ever rides down the hosts opposed to it, the river which says on, on, on; even though, it admits, there may be no goal for us whatever, still on, on; this indomitable egotism charred her cheeks with color; made her look very young; very pink; very bright-eyed as she stat with her dress upon her knee, and her needle held to the end of green silk, trembling a little. He was in love! Not with her. With some younger woman, of course."

The passage occurs when an old flame returns to Mrs. Dalloway's parlor to tell her he's back in town and is here to seek a divorce for another woman so he can marry her. Dalloway, naturally, finds herself automatically working to reclaim her love, for fear that she may lose him. It's not healthy, but what girl does not do the same?

I'm off to roll about in my bed and which that life were so constantly colorful and I could sing as high as the women do in the film.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I LOVE that movie. I watched it in my French Cinema class a few years ago. If you're seriously into French New Wave, let me know. I'll hook you up with some recommendations!

Unknown said...

Hi Meg, was great to meet you today and I've already found your blog! Love your writing style you're a fun read. Give me some writing tips for mine will ya. Actually I have thought of taking writing classes. One day maybe.

Unknown said...

Meg, where is your 'about me' section or are you wanting to remain more of an annonymous type?